Reports To: Office Manager
Dental Assistants work closely with HDC dentists to meet the unique needs of each patient. It is required to be able to lead, be friendly, flexible and focused to complete tasks in a timely manner.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- • Creating a welcoming environment for volunteers.
- • Volunteer orientation.
- • Ensure all patient paperwork is complete upon check in.
- • Assisting the Dentist during a variety of treatment procedures.
- • Taking digital radiographs.
- • Charting patient information in an accurate and timely manner.
- • Helping patients feel comfortable before, during and after dental treatment.
- • Providing patients with instructions for oral care following surgery or other procedures; teaching patients appropriate oral hygiene.
- • Performing office management tasks that require the use of a computer.
- • Preparing and maintaining dental instruments, supplies and equipment.
- • Maintaining cleanliness of clinic at the end of clinic shift.
- • Prevention and management of medical emergencies.
- • Oversee volunteer personnel including: delegating assignments, training, and monitoring.
- • Restocking supplies as needed.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- • Licensed Dental Assistant (LDA) and current CPR certification required.
- • Knowledge of public health preferred.
- • The ability to read, write and verbally communicate complex messages in English and another language used locally (ex. Spanish, Hmong, Somali, etc.) preferred but not required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- • Understands and is able to demonstrate principles, theories and practices of radiology.
- • Able to apply dental techniques.
- • Able to deal with people in a manner which shows sensitivity, tact and professionalism.
- • Competent in use of computers; enter, transcribe, record, store or maintain information in either written or electronic form. We do use Eagle Soft and digital x-ray in our clinic.
- • Able to use cleaning agents, products and equipment.
- • Able to maintain inventory; track receipt, sending and delivery of materials.
- • Preference given to bi-lingual applicants.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL EFFORT:
- • Risks which require the use of special safety precautions and/or equipment, working around operating machines, working with contagious diseases or hazardous chemicals, etc.
- • The work requires some physical exertion such as long periods of standing; recurring bending, crouching, stooping, stretching, reaching or similar activities; recurring lifting of moderately heavy items such as record boxes.
The preceding statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and sills required of personnel so classified.