Job Title: Pre-Dental Interns: 12 Openings
Eight Month Unpaid Internship – Beginning Monday, April 18, 2022 – Friday, December 16, 2022
Reports To: Clinic Manager/Licensed Dental Assistants
Schedule: Monday – Thursday – 2 nights per week – 5:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m. – 8 hours per week
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: March 31, 2022. — Send Resume to: Matthew Lim firstname.lastname@example.org
Our pre-dental interns will be responsible for working with volunteer dentists to meet the unique needs of each patient. It is required to be able to lead, be friendly, flexible, and focused to complete tasks in a timely manner.
HDC’s mission is to provide dental care to those without insurance nor the means to pay for care elsewhere. Our values are respect, compassion, integrity, service, stewardship, and excellence. We expect all interns to possess the same values and to live them out while at HDC.
Each intern will receive extensive training in both clinical and front desk operations. As we will have a limited number of spots, this is a competitive position.
- Check-in and provide screening for patients prior to their appointments.
- Ensure all patient paperwork is complete upon check-in.
- Collect Administration Fee.
- Once all patients are checked in, see if lab coats need to be laundered.
- Check to see if help is needed in sterilization.
- At the end of the shift input dental procedure coding.
- Organize and clean front desk and waiting room.
- Assist the dentist during a variety of treatment procedures.
- Chart patient information in an accurate and timely manner.
- Help patients feel comfortable before, during and after dental treatment.
- Provide patients with instructions for oral care following surgery or other procedures, teaching patients appropriate oral hygiene.
- Ensure dentist completes notes for patient seen.
- At the end of shift, work with other interns in the clinic area to ensure all rooms are clean and ready for use the next day.
- Prepare and maintain dental instruments, supplies and equipment using proper infection controls and procedures and proper disposal of hazardous waste.
- Properly load sterilizers.
- Ensure instruments which are sterilized and dry are put in an appropriate place.
- At end of shift, ensure sterilization area is ready for use the next day.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- High school diploma or GED
- A passion for dentistry
- Current CPR Certification required
- Knowledge of public health preferred.
- The ability to read, write and verbally communicate complex messages in English and another language used locally (ex. Spanish, Hmong, Somali, etc.) preferredbut not required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Able to deal with people in a manner which shows sensitivity, tact and professionalism.
- Competent in use of computers; enter, transcribe, record, store or maintain information in either written or electronic form.
- Able to use cleaning agents, products and equipment.
- Preference given to bilingual applicants.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Risks which require the use of special safety precautions and/or equipment, working around operating machines, working with contagious diseases or hazardous chemicals, etc.
- The work requires some physical exertion such as long periods of standing; recurring bending, crouching, stooping, stretching, reaching or similar activities; recurring lifting of moderately heavy items such as boxes of supplies.
- Applicant should be comfortable working with and/or around blood.
- Reliable transportation
Interns will receive one, three, and six-month evaluations and a Letter of Recommendation if warranted. One set of scrubs and CPR training provided if Certification is not current.
The preceding statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.